I'm an experienced information technology professional that is currently specializing in the promotional products industry. I help distributors and suppliers innovate and grow by implementing PromoStandards, integrating their systems, developing highly customized software solutions, and more.
Summary of Qualifications
• More than 20 years of Information Technology experience serving as a software developer, consultant, and developer evangelist.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, with a concentration in Information Systems.
• Exceptional database-related skills, including design, development, administration, security and authorization, backup and recovery, installation, and maintenance.
• Proven ability to document work, and to provide clear and professional technical evaluations and specifications.
• Ability to understand complex business requirements and translate them into technical designs.
• Published author, with excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Amazon Aurora
• SQL Server
• TVML / TVJS
ERP & Accounting Systems:
• Extensive experience with PromoStandards.
• Development of Apple TV apps using TVML, TVJS, TVMLKit, and Swift.
• Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS), including Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), Relational Database Service (RDS), and S3 (Simple Storage Service).
• Design and development of specialized Web applications, including APIs, custom search engines, spiders / bots.
• Integration with payment processing systems, including PayPal, Authorize.net, and Stripe.
• Integration with FedEx and UPS shipping systems.
Founder / Developer
July 2018 to Present
Promo.zone is an example of what developers can create using PromoStandards. It's a search engine that provides fast, easy access to detailed information on thousands of promotional products. The site was built with and is maintained using PromoStandards services from some of the industry's leading suppliers. Through Promo.zone, I provide services that help distributors and suppliers put PromoStandards to work.
I develop custom software and commercial applications. My clients range from small businesses to government agencies to Fortune 50 organizations, and include the Library of Congress, Siemens, CarMax, the University of Virginia, and many more.
• Developed PromoStandards-based services for a promotional products supplier provide that integrates with their FileMaker-based inventory and fulfillment system.
• Helped to implement, customize, and integrate NetSuite for a promotional products distributor.
• Developed a custom e-commerce solution for a promotional products distributor that is used to sell and manage marketing services for Virginia welcome centers and rest areas.
• Developed a custom legal / medical case management system for a medical funding solution provider.
• Developed a custom time tracking and project management system for the creative services department of Dominion Energy.
• Developed a custom mobile application for Siemens Industry (Building Technologies) that is used by technicians to inspect and repair large HVAC systems.
• Developed a custom internship management system for the University of Virginia's internship program.
• Developed a custom project management system for Carmax's creative services team.
• Developed a custom logistics system for a company that manages the construction of cruise ships.
• Developed a custom legal case management system for the Library of Congress.
Briefly served as the Developer Evangelist for Airtable, a cloud collaboration service headquartered in San Francisco. Helped developers use Airtable's API, created technical content for the company's blog and community forum, hosted webinars, developed demo applications that use Airtable's API, assisted users, and more.
Designed and developed custom database and Web solutions for this value-added promotional products company. Solutions developed included fulfillment and inventory control systems, project and job management tools, a custom contact system, highly specialized e-commerce solutions, and more.
• Developed a custom fulfillment and inventory control system in FileMaker.
• Developed various custom Web-based solutions that integrate with FileMaker and MySQL.
• Integrated FileMaker-based applications with the company's SQL Server-based e-commerce system ("Nova") and accounting system ("Solomon").
• Helped to maintain the company's multiple FileMaker Server instances. Responsibilities included server monitoring, backup scheduling, etc.
• Maintained legacy applications developed in FileMaker Pro 5 and 6.
• Managed large scale SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005 upgrade project.
Migrated a complex FileMaker Pro-based inventory management system from the FileMaker 7 platform to the FileMaker 8 platform. The project involved redesigning the application to take full advantage of the latest FileMaker technology and feature set, as well as consolidating the original multi-file solution into fewer physical files, and implementing a data separation model.
Worked with a team of developers and business analysts to support databases that distribute targeted customer data to a number of CRM applications. This data was used to deliver and track the effectiveness of proactive, reactive, and cross-sell promotional offers.
• Automated the load, validation, and processing of customer response data from external vendors.
• Developed SQL jobs to migrate data from production servers to development and testing environments.
• Worked with large SQL databases (millions of records), in a multi-database (SQL Server and Oracle) environment.
• Helped establish database standards and best practices for the SQL Server development team.
Developed custom database solutions for clients in a wide variety of industries. Services provided included database design (requirements analysis, data modeling, normalization), database development (scripting, stored procedures, triggers, user-defined functions, and complex queries), database administration (performance tuning and optimization, security and authorization, backup and recovery, installation, and maintenance), web application development, and related services.
• Developed a lead generation and processing system for a marketing firm that services the mortgage industry. The database included detailed personal and financial information on more that 8 million homeowners.
• Developed a custom Web content management system for a prestigious private university.
• Developed a custom inventory management system for a jewelry wholesale company.
• Developed a custom business system for a skilled labor employment agency.
• Developed a custom telemarketing solution used to track sales, prospects, and employee compensation for a call center operation.
• Developed a system used by a large manufacturer of automotive products to manage their employee incentive program.
Developed and implemented a comprehensive, integrated e-commerce strategy for this multi-regional, multi-industry corporation. Bell's primary business is Bell Tech.logix, a provider of integrated technology solutions for large and medium-sized organizations.
• Designed, developed, documented, and implemented various browser-based applications, including sales, quoting, management, and reporting tools. Applications were developed using FileMaker Pro, ColdFusion, Microsoft SQL Server, and DB2/400.
• Developed a browser-based reporting system that integrated with the corporate ERP system.
• Developed a data archiving system to provide authorized corporate users with access to historic sales and financial data previously stored in the corporation's mainframe system.
• Managed a team of web developers and designers, and established coding and documentation standards, workflow procedures, etc.
Developed custom database solutions for clients in various industries. Xperts is a Richmond-based computer consulting firm.
• Developed a ColdFusion-based project management tool for The Weather Channel.
• Developed a FileMaker-based product catalog for the lighting division of General Electric.
• Assisted Web development team with database-related issues, including modifications to database schemas and development of SQL scripts, stored procedures, queries, etc.
Developed e-commerce solutions and Web-based applications for this high profile computer products company. Outpost.com (formerly "Cyberian Outpost") is a global Internet retailer of computer products. Work included:
• Used Broadvision One-To-One application system to build dynamic Web pages that were personalized to correspond to a user's profile.
• Developed complex SQL queries to integrate data from Oracle databases.
• Designed and developed a FileMaker / browser-based project management and bug tracking system for use by the development and creative services teams.
Education & Certifications
Bachelor of Science / Computer Science
Information Systems Concentration
Evernote Business Certified Consultant
FileMaker Certified Developer
Versions 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Microsoft SQL Server Certification
Northern Virginia Community College
ICD-10-CM Code Reference Guide: Books 1 - 21
FileMaker Pro 13 Absolute Beginner's Guide
The NeXT Computer
Association for Computing Machinery
ACM SIGSMALL/PC Notes, Volume 15 Issue 3
Commercial Solutions & Applications
An Apple TV app that provides access to classic science fiction movies.
The Unlikely Story
An Apple TV app that tells the story of artist William Girven, and his journey from homelessness to prominence.
An Apple TV app for Richmond, Virginia-based indie-rock band Carbon Leaf. The app includes videos of the band's live performances, interviews with band members, music, and more.
An iPhone app that makes it easy for healthcare professionals to locate ICD-10-CM (diagnosis) codes.
An Apple TV app that provides access to mandala animations set to music. The app is used as a means of relaxing mind and body.
An iPhone app that provides access to the public disclosures that have been filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
An iPhone app that helps users discover employment opportunities that are available with federal, state, and local government agencies across the United States.
Open Source Solutions
Aloe Express is a powerful, easy-to-use, open source Xojo Web server module. Build APIs, microservices, Web sites, and more.
Aloe Express Airtable Add-On Module
Provides easy access to databases created with the popular cloud-based database service of the same name. The module provides you with classes that can be used to retrieve, create, update, and delete records in Airtable bases.
Aloe Express Key-Value Store Add-On Module
Provides developers with an extremely fast in-memory key-value API. It's ideal for caching, managing sessions, and rapid development. With this module, you can quickly and easily generate a RESTful API based on a JSON file, save the KVS to disk, and more.
Aloe Express Luna Express Add-On Module
Luna Express is a redesigned version of the original Luna API framework that has been specifically designed for use with Aloe Express. It accelerates the creation of RESTful APIs for SQL databases by simplifying the development of endpoints for CRUD operations. Luna Express supports several popular database types, including MySQL, SQLite, Amazon Aurora, and more.
Aloe Express XFM Add-On Module
With the XFM module, developers can easily integrate your apps with hosted FileMaker databases. This version includes support for containers, and is now fully unlocked.
Temper is a Xojo-based Web API framework for hosted FileMaker databases. With Temper, you can make API calls to create, read, update, and delete records, run scripts, work with containers, and more.
fm.swift is a class that maps commonly used FileMaker functions to Apple's Swift programming language.
FM Authenticator is an open source two-factor authentication (2FA) solution for the FileMaker platform. It helps developers enhance the security of their FileMaker solutions.
FMContainers is a Web application that makes it easy to serve up files that are stored in FileMaker containers.
FM EasyAPI is a PHP-based Web application makes it easy to setup simple, REST APIs for databases hosted with FileMaker Server.
FM EasyAudit is an open source auditing solution for the FileMaker platform. With EasyAudit, you can easily log changes that are being made to data in your FileMaker databases.
FM EasyBarcodes is an open source solution that can be used to create barcodes in FileMaker solutions. Most of the more popular barcode types can be generated, as well as QR codes. EasyBarcodes requires no plugins, and no internet connection.
FM EasyCalendar is a solution for generating data-driven calendars within FileMaker databases. It has been designed to be easy to install and customize, giving developers complete control over how calendars are presented. It also supports business rules, private and shared calendars, and more.
With FM EasyCanvas, you can create and modify drawings directly from within your FileMaker databases. Using familiar drawing tools (pencil, eraser, line, text, etc), you can create new drawings from scratch, or markup existing drawings or photos taken with your mobile device.
FM EasyHTML is an open source HTML / Text Editor for use in FileMaker databases. With EasyHTML you can provide users with a WYSIWYG tool for editing HTML content.
FM EasyMaps is an open source solution that can be used to create data-driven maps using the Google Maps API. Drop pins / markers with detailed information about the location, and more.
FM EasySignature is an open source solution for capturing signatures in FileMaker databases. It is a technique for capturing signatures and optionally storing them in container fields. It's ideal for solutions that require signature capture, such as delivery receipts, contracts and agreements, etc.
EasySync is an award-winning, alternative, open source sync framework for the FileMaker platform. It's native, simple, transactional, fast, and flexible.
With EasyWeb, you can quickly and easily publish data in your FileMaker databases to the Web, without needing to write any code. Simply install EasyWeb on a Web server, point it at your database, create a few layouts, and you're ready to go.
A Wufoo-to-FileMaker bridge, making it easy to collect info from online forms and save it in a FileMaker database.
A special version of Luna (a Xojo-based framework for creating RESTful APIs) that supports FileMaker databases.
With fmStripe, you can easily receive credit card payments and store them in a FileMaker database.
FM WebFrame is an open source extension to the FileMaker API for PHP. It makes it easier to develop advanced Web solutions that integrate with FileMaker databases.
PromoStandards Standards Committee
May 2018 to Present
The Standards Committee is responsible for crafting standards and recommending changes to existing standards.
Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
ACM is the world's largest scientific and educational computing society.
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
IEEE is the world's largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity.
FileMaker Excellence Award
2014 FBA Development of the Year
FileMaker, Inc. An Apple Subsidiary.
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
PromoStandards Vegas 2.0.0
• Leveraging Product Data & Media
PromoStandards Workshop 2.0.0
• Panel Discussion: New to PromoStandards: Dos & Don'ts
Webinar: Using Temper API with FileMaker
Xojo Developer Conference 2018
• Introducing Aloe Express: Develop Web APIs, Microservices, and More with Xojo
Webinar: FileMaker Web Publishing With Xojo and Aloe
Xojo Developer Conference 2016
• Xojo’s Role in the API Economy
• Powering Apple TV Apps With Xojo
• Panel Discussion: Xojo Consulting
Webinar: Xojo Q&A for FileMaker Developers
Webinar: Develop Native iOS Apps That Integrate With FileMaker
Webinar: Using Xojo with Airtable
Testimonials & References
References are available upon request.
For a list of organizations that I've worked with, as well as a few client testimonials, click here.