It's been a few weeks since I announced EasyAudit. Since then, I've made a lot of progress on the project.
Here's where EasyAudit stands today:
• Supports clients running FileMaker Pro, FileMaker Pro Advanced, FileMaker Go, and FileMaker WebDirect.
• Setup involves adding only one table, one script, one layout, and four fields to the tables that you want to audit. You will also need to add a single “OnRecordCommit” script trigger to any layouts that you want to audit from.
• The logging is handled server-side, so there is little to no impact on performance.
• The log is saved in a separate table.
• Changes are logged at the field level, and related changes are grouped in a batch. For example, if you make changes to a parent record and related child records, then all changes are logged and grouped together. This opens up the possibility of being able to add rollback support in the future.
• With the exception of global fields, EasyAudit logs changes to all field types (including container fields).
Here are a few features that I'm still working on:
• Support for “bulk” updates (imports, replace field contents).
• Support for deletions.
• Support for record views, finds, and exports.
• Support for changes made via the FM API for PHP.
• Support for rollbacks.
I'm hoping to release EasyAudit to a private beta in a few weeks (if not sooner), and roll it out to a larger public beta in October.
Look for updates here on my blog, or on Twitter.