Click here for a printable version of my resume.
Richmond, Virginia USA
An experienced information technology professional
that develops custom Web, mobile, and Apple TV applications,
as well as the databases and APIs that they are based on.
Summary of Qualifications
• More than 20 years of Information Technology experience serving as a developer, software engineer, and consultant.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, with a concentration in Information Systems.
• Exceptional database-related skills, including design (data requirement analysis, data modeling, normalization), development (scripting, stored procedures, triggers, user-defined functions, and complex queries), and administration (performance tuning and optimization, security and authorization, backup and recovery, installation, and maintenance).
• Proven ability to document work, and to provide clear and professional technical evaluations and specifications.
• Ability to understand complex business requirements, and translate them into technical designs.
• Published author, with excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Amazon Aurora
• SQL Server
• TVML / TVJS
ERP & Accounting Systems:
• Development of Apple TV apps using TVML, TVJS, TVMLKit, and Swift.
• Extensive experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS), including Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), Relational Database Service (RDS), and S3 (Simple Storage Service).
• Design and development of specialized Web applications, including APIs, custom search engines, spiders / bots.
• Integration with payment processing systems, including PayPal, Authorize.net, and Stripe.
• Integration with FedEx and UPS shipping systems.
Custom Software Developer
May 2016 to Present
I specialize in developing custom software for businesses when there simply "isn’t an app for that."
That includes Web, mobile, and Apple TV applications - many of which are powered by databases and APIs.
Founder / Developer
May 2016 to Present
DailyOrbit is an alternative search engine that I originally developed in 1997.
It had been relaunched to meet the needs of today's mobile-centric world.
Independent App Developer
June 2015 to May 2016
Developed custom apps for small businesses, as well as commercial apps.
• Developed an Apple TV app for Broadcastify, the world's largest source of public safety, aircraft, rail, and marine radio live audio streams.
• Developed ViewPoint, a Xojo-based Apple TV application server framework. ViewPoint is used to dynamically generate TVML and TVJS files that power Apple TV apps, as well as static assets such as image and audio files.
• Developed Keplr TV, an Apple TV app that provides access to classic science fiction movies.
• Developed The Unlikely Story, an Apple TV app that tells the story of artist William Girven, and his journey from homelessness to prominence.
• Developed an Apple TV app for Carbon Leaf, a Richmond, Virginia-based band.
• Developed Mandala Meditations, an Apple TV app that provides access to meditation videos.
• Developed an iPhone / iPad app that alerts first responders to emergencies and provides critical information (hazardous materials warnings, directions, etc) regarding the location involved.
• Developed ICD-10 Research, an iPhone / Apple Watch app for healthcare professionals to easily locate ICD-10 medical codes.
• Developed Full Disclosure,
an iPhone app that provides access to the public disclosures that have been filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
• Developed Gov Opps, an iPhone app that helps users discover employment opportunities that are available with federal, state, and local government agencies across the United States.
San Francisco, California
June 2015 to May 2016
As Developer Evangelist, I was tasked with helping developers use Airtable's API.
Created technical content for Airtable's blog and community forum, hosted webinars, developed demo applications that use Airtable's API, assisting users, and more.
Independent Database Consultant
Simple Database Solutions
April 2008 to June 2015
Worked as an independent consultant that specialized in the FileMaker platform.
My core service was developing custom database solutions.
I also provided FileMaker integration and training services.
My clients ranged from small businesses to government agencies to Fortune 50 organizations,
and included the Library of Congress, Siemens, CarMax, the University of Virginia, and many more.
November 2006 to April 2008
Designed and developed custom database applications for this value-added promotional products company. Applications developed included transactional fulfillment and inventory control systems, project and job management tools, as well as telemarketing-related solutions.
• Developed a custom fulfillment and inventory control system in FileMaker. The inventory system is transactional, with full support for commits, aborts, and rollbacks.
• Developed custom Web-based solutions using the FileMaker API for PHP.
• Integrated FileMaker-based applications with the company's SQL Server-based e-commerce system ("Nova") and accounting system ("Solomon").
• Maintained the company's multiple FileMaker Server instances. Responsibilities included server monitoring, backup scheduling, etc.
• Maintained legacy applications developed in FileMaker Pro 5 and 6.
• Managed large scale SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005 upgrade project.
Independent Database Consultant
August 2006 to November 2006
Worked as an independent database consultant to migrate a complex FileMaker Pro-based inventory management system from the FileMaker 7 platform to the FileMaker 8 platform. The project involved redesigning the application to take full advantage of the latest FileMaker technology and feature set, as well as consolidating the original multi-file solution into fewer physical files, and implementing a data separation model.
Sprint / DHSoft Inc.
May 2006 to August 2006
Worked with a team of developers and business analysts to support databases that distribute targeted customer data to a number of CRM applications. This data is used to deliver and track the effectiveness of proactive, reactive, and cross-sell offers.
• Automated the load, validation, and processing of customer response data from external vendors.
• Developed SQL jobs to migrate data from production servers to development and testing environments.
• Worked with large SQL databases (millions of records), in a multi-database (SQL Server and Oracle) environment.
• Helped establish database standards and best practices for the SQL Server development team.
May 2000 to April 2006
Served as a database consultant and developed custom applications for clients in a wide variety of industries. Services provided included database design, development and administration, web application development, and related services.
• Developed a lead generation and processing system for a marketing firm that services the mortgage industry. The database included detailed personal and financial information on more that 8 million homeowners.
• Developed a custom Web content management system for a prestigious private university.
• Developed a custom inventory management system for a jewelry wholesale company.
• Developed a custom business system for a skilled labor employment agency.
• Developed a custom telemarketing solution used to track sales, prospects, and employee compensation for a call center operation.
• Developed a system used by a large manufacturer of automotive products to manage their employee incentive program.
Bell Industries, Inc.
August 1999 to May 2000
Developed a comprehensive, integrated e-commerce strategy for this multi-regional, multi-industry corporation. Bell's primary business is Bell Tech.logix, a provider of integrated technology solutions for large and medium-sized organizations.
• Designed, developed, documented, and implemented various browser-based applications, including sales and management tools, reporting tools, etc. Applications were developed using FileMaker Pro, ColdFusion, Microsoft SQL Server, and DB2/400.
• Developed a browser-based reporting system that integrated with the corporate ERP system.
• Developed a data archiving system to provide authorized corporate users with access to historic sales and financial data previously stored in the corporation's mainframe system.
• Managed a team of web developers and designers, and established coding and documentation standards, workflow procedures, etc.
February 1999 to August 1999
Developed custom database solutions for clients in various industries. Xperts is a Richmond-based computer consulting firm.
• Developed a browser-based project management tool for The Weather Channel.
• Developed a FileMaker-based product catalog for the lighting division of General Electric.
• Assisted Web development team with database-related issues, including modifications to database schemas and development of SQL scripts, stored procedures, queries, etc.
Web Developer / Integrator
September 1998 to February 1999
Developed e-commerce solutions and Web-based applications for this high profile computer products company. Outpost.com (formerly "Cyberian Outpost") is a global Internet retailer of computer products. Work included:
• Used Broadvision One-To-One application system to build dynamic Web pages that were personalized to correspond to a user's profile.
• Developed complex SQL queries to integrate data from Oracle databases.
• Designed and developed a FileMaker / browser-based project management and bug tracking system for use by the development and creative services teams.
Education & Certifications
Bachelor of Science / Computer Science
Information Systems Concentration
FileMaker Certified Developer
Versions 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Microsoft SQL Server Certification
Northern Virginia Community College
2017 ICD-10-CM Code Reference Guide for Mental, Behavioral and Neurodevelopmental Disorders: Codes F01 thru F99
ICD-10-CM Code Reference Guide: Books 1 - 21
FileMaker Pro 13 Absolute Beginner's Guide
The NeXT Computer
Association for Computing Machinery
ACM SIGSMALL/PC Notes, Volume 15 Issue 3
Commercial Solutions & Applications
An Apple TV app that provides access to classic science fiction movies.
The Unlikely Story
An Apple TV app that tells the story of artist William Girven, and his journey from homelessness to prominence.
An Apple TV app for Richmond, Virginia-based indie-rock band Carbon Leaf.
The app includes videos of the band's live performances, interviews with band members, music, and more.
An iPhone app that makes it easy for healthcare professionals to locate ICD-10-CM (diagnosis) codes.
An Apple TV app that provides access to mandala animations set to music. The app is used as a means of relaxing mind and body.
An iPhone app that provides access to the public disclosures that have been filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
An iPhone app that helps users discover employment opportunities that are available with federal, state, and local government agencies across the United States.
Open Source Contributions
A class that maps commonly used FileMaker functions to the Swift programming language.
Two-factor authentication (2FA) for the FileMaker database platform.
A Xojo Web application that makes it easy to serve up files that are stored in FileMaker containers.
Framework for creating simple REST APIs for FileMaker databases.
A comprehensive auditing solution for the FileMaker database platform.
Generates barcodes and QR codes in FileMaker databases.
Displays event data that is stored in FileMaker databases in a calendar format.
Allows creation and modification of drawings directly from within FileMaker.
An HTML / text editor for use in FileMaker-based solutions.
Generates interactive maps based on addresses in FileMaker databases.
Captures signatures and stores them in FileMaker databases.
An award-winning sync framework for the FileMaker platform.
Publish data in FileMaker databases to the Web without writing any code.
Collects data from Wufoo online forms and stores it in FileMaker databases.
A Xojo-based framework for creating RESTful APIs for FileMaker databases.
A PHP-based solution for accepting credit card payments via the Stripe and storing them in a FileMaker database.
An extension to the FileMaker API for PHP.
A Xojo-based framework for creating RESTful APIs.
An alternative, open source framework for developing secure, public-facing, scalable Web sites and applications using Xojo.
FileMaker Excellence Award
2014 FBA Development of the Year
FileMaker, Inc. An Apple Subsidiary.
Events & Speaking Engagements
Xojo Developer Conference (XDC) 2016
• Xojo’s Role in the API Economy
• Powering Apple TV Apps With Xojo
• APIs That Meet the Needs of Citizen Developers
• API Assistant
Testimonials & References
Testimonials are available
References are available upon request.